Thursday, January 13, 2011

hmmm {1.13.11)

yesterday "out of the blue" i started thinking about teaching
and about how words have been spoken over me that tell me i'll be back in the classroom soon
(of course, soon being a relative term...)
and also...
about how EVERY job i've had for the last 2.5+ years has been given to me
not from an interview
but as a gift because of my reputation
because of word of mouth
because someone KNEW me

and then i remembered that my teaching job(s) were given to me the same way
the first, because of the reputation of the university i went to
and because i had volunteered in inner city ministry while there
(seriously -- the principal called me to set up an interview...when i hadn't even applied to that specific school.  i had just hung up the phone when she called back and said "you know, i'd like to go ahead and just offer you the job.)
the second, because i did my student teaching there
and they wanted me back

so the thought came
"i think that's how it's going to happen again"

all the time i've spent STRIVING for a teaching job
that needs to stop
i need to make the systems aware that i'm available
check to see if there are openings
and then just wait.

i have friends all over the systems
who know people who are in places of hiring authority
i can rely on connections
and until then
i LOVE what i'm doing
i'm not making crazy amounts of money from my "job"
but i am crazily and wonderfully provided for!

not very long after i was thinking these thoughts
a text came from a friend
"if you were offered a teaching job right now...would you take it?"
now, that particular text had a lot to do with her own current situation
but...it was a nice little confirmation
that it'll come
and for now
i'm perfectly content where i am :)

1 comment: